Monday, February 16, 2009

"Errands" in Guatemala

We all do normal everyday errands in Canada without thinking about it.  But try starting over in a new country with a new language, and it's often incredibly funny.

We were looking for a desk chair, since typing at neck height is starting to be uncomfortable.  After walking around to several stores and asking for a "silla de oficina", we learned that they might have one at the big hardware store.  Abel, our tuc-tuc driver, took Danaya to it the one day, and she looked at the chair.

The next day, she wanted to take me back to that store, but she couldn't remember its name.  I called Abel, and thought that he said it was called Ferro Agro. So we told the tuc-tuc driver to take us to the "Ferro Agro, el ferreteria mas grande" (the hardware store more big).  After we got to the other side of town to the wrong hardware store, he drove us over to the right one. We looked at the desk chair, and were quoted $250 US for it.  We decided not to buy it, of course, so the salesman promptly dropped the price by $100. We still decided not to buy it.

Now we're ready to go home.  I call Omar, another tuc-tuc driver, for a pickup. He asks where we are.  I look at the salesman's shirt, which has a brand logo for "Hierro".  Since we haven't seen any store signage yet, I tell Omar that we're at "Hierro".  He says "Si, si, en cinco minutos" (in five minutes).

When we haven't seen Omar ten minutes later, I call him back. This time I ask the salesman where we are.  He looks at me with a strange look, and says "Maya Sersa", as though it should be obvious.  Then he points to the brand logo on another salesman's shirt, which says "Maya Sersa". 

This store is the size of a small Rona, and I still can't find a sign.  When Omar picks us up, I notice a small hand-painted sign outside the front gate, in two-inch letters, saying "Maya Sersa".  Es bueno saber (it's good to know).

No comments: